There are many ways to participate:
- You can register at the library beginning July 1st. After registering, simply read and log three books between July 1st and August 7th. Turn your reading log in and collect your prize!
- Take a stab at the weekly "Banned Book in a Jar" contest. The jar will be displayed on the shelves just inside the main entrance to your left. Curious? You'll have to come in to see what it's all about.
- Check out the Groundbreaking Reads-Staff Picks Shelf just below the Banned Book in a Jar display. Sample some of your library staff's groundbreaking reads. Books that inspired us, changed us, enlightened us, gave us joy, or broke our hearts.
- Join us for several exciting programs with Groundbreaking Reads, Summer Reading Coffee House:
- Thursday, July 11th - 7:00pm UNDERGROUND DRINKING: Bootlegging, Speakeasies, and the Underground Booze Business in Wheeling. Presented by Hal Gorby and Ryan Stanton.
- Thursday, July 18th - 6-8:00 pm GROUNDBREAKING COMMUNITY ISSUES AND ACTIVISM: Doug Shields, Pittsburgh city council member responsible for the first in the nation ban of Shale gas extraction. He is an adjunct instructor at Duquesne University's School of Leadership and Development and an expert in municipal operations, budgeting, planning, zoning and land use matters. Local groups Ohio Valley Peace, FaCT OV, Woodsdale United, and Wheeling Water Warriors will also participate.
- Thursday, August 1st - 6:30 pm: UNCOVERING MT. WOOD CEMETERY. Meet some of the famous and infamous residents of Wheeling's historic Mt. Wood Cemetery and learn about cemetery preservation.
- Thursday, August 8th - 6-8:00 pm FINALE - GROUNDBREAKING EATS. Sample goods and learn about places around the globe at our Adult Summer Reading finale. Prized will be distributed to adults who have completed Groundbreaking Reads at this event.